Monday, August 10, 2009

Week 7, Thing 16: PBWIKIS

I had originally heard of pbwikis last summer during a science workshop I had. The presenter added information about the workshop and included needed resources. Before this, I thought a wiki referred to "Wikipedia", the online encyclopedia that allows anyone to modify the information. As a librarian, a wikipedia is not a reliable source. I tried explaning this to my teachers and students, but I continued seeing an increase in usage. I found that wikipedia's had topics of interest and all that I encountered seemed pretty trustworthy. Now, I understand that most of the time, these wiki pages are constructed by people that are willing to help other people find information and/or learn what they have found/learned in an easier and faster manner. I loved it that there are so many different ways that educators can use wiki pages. It is an awesome way to organize information for the viewer. I will definetly encourage my teachers to create wiki's for classroom use.

No comments:

Post a Comment